GLOUP: A HELPING HAND
As we get older, many of us find we’re taking several pills at different times of the day. It’s difficult enough simply remembering to take the right ones at the right time. So when it becomes an ordeal to actually swallow them, it’s little wonder that an estimated 55 percent of the elderly are skipping their prescription drugs, or taking them less often. And that’s a real worry.
It’s no surprise that taking oral medication is such a problem for the over 60s – as we get older, our mouths produce less saliva: the body’s natural lubricant that ordinarily helps us to swallow.
Other health conditions can make swallowing difficult too. That’s why many patients try to chew, crush, break or mix the tablet or capsule in food or drink. But this only adds to the problem – as some long-acting medicines will be released too fast, and others just won’t get to work properly: lessening their effectiveness.
But help is at hand.
Gloup is the first purpose designed medication lubricant that makes the intake of oral medication a more pleasant and safer experience, for everyone.
Why choose Gloup®?
Four out of five people aged over 75 years take at least one medicine, with 36 percent taking four medicines or more. It’s essential that we take our tablets exactly as prescribed. No crushing, no mixing of multiple medicines unless instructed by our doctors. Gloup makes the whole experience more comfortable, and more effective.
- Gloup is simple
Gloup’s solution is simplicity itself. A lightweight, smooth gel, it allows tablets to be swallowed as easily as a spoonful of yoghurt, or a sip of soup. It simply covers the tablet on the spoon, to allow for its safe transportation - so it can get to work in the way it was designed to.
- Gloup is safe
Gloup has no known interactions with medication, is made of 100% natural ingredients all certified ‘food grade’, and biodegrades harmlessly in the stomach. Gloup does not contain gluten or lactose.
- Gloup is stress-free
Gloup is designed to address the stress and discomfort so many of us face when suffering from a fear of taking oral medicines, or living with a condition that physically makes swallowing difficult: such as Parkinson's, dysphagia or following a stroke.
Who can use Gloup®?
There are lots of reasons why, at some time, many of us experience the inability to swallow medicines (or foods or liquids) with ease. Medically, this condition is known as dysphagia. It isn’t always permanent, but it’s often distressing. Gloup is designed to help anyone for whom swallowing is difficult.
- Ageing can affect our ability to swallow. From missing teeth or shifting tooth positions to general loss of muscle strength and dry mouth, dysphagia (the medical term for the phenomena) swallowing function can deteriorate with age.
- When we get older, our mouths produce less saliva - the body’s natural ‘lubricant’ to aid swallowing - which makes taking oral medications much more of a trial.
- Swallowing problems are very common after a stroke. Almost half of people who have a stroke will have some difficulties in the first few months.
- Stress or anxiety may cause some people to feel tightness in the throat. This condition, known as globus sensation, can make swallowing more difficult.
- Dementia can cause some particularly challenging issues around swallowing and chewing, and can make it difficult to take oral medication.
- Some cancers, such as mouth, oesophageal and stomach cancer can cause problems with swallowing.
- Many of us just have an inbuilt fear of swallowing medication (a condition that affects an estimated one in three of us at one time or another).
If you're using Gloup for the first time, we recommend you simply try some of the gel on its own, from a spoon. Once you’re familiar with the feel, taste and texture of the gel, and can swallow it comfortably, you’re good to go!
Start with a single tablet and dispense around 5ml of the gel (about a teaspoon’s amount), or enough to fully cover your tablet. Don’t worry if you need more, or prefer to use a bigger spoon. The amount of gel can be increased or reduced without affecting your medication. Simply swallow your spoonful of Gloup and medication in one easy mouthful.